For those who are unable to stop the Windows Update Service when you are using the Services tool or the Command Prompt, here is the information for you. There are some methods to fix the issue to choose from. Try the first one and try another if the first one cannot solve the problem.
Method 1: Stopping wuauserv process
You can use the Command Prompt with administrative permissions to fix this issue. The command that you will use will end the process recognized by the PID and the thing could be stopped. To do so, you will have to use the Services tool to restart the process once you stop it if you want to use the Windows Update functionality one day.
If you want to stop the wuauserv process, please follow these following steps:
- Use the Ctrl + Shift + Esc key combination by pressing all of them simultaneously to open the Task Manager utility. Another option is to use the Ctrl + Alt + Del key combination and choose Task Manager from the pop-up blue screen that will be displayed with a few options. In addition, you can also search for it in the Start menu.
- Press on More details located at the bottom left part of the window to expand Task Manager. Then, navigate to the Service tab and right click anywhere around the names of the columns and check the box located beside the PID entry in the context menu.
- Find the Windows Update by checking the column named Description or by looking for the wuauserv service under the Name column. Please remember its PID number.
- Find the Command Prompt either in the Start menu or by tapping the search button beside it. You have to right click on the first one shown at the top and choose the Run as administrator option.
- Those who are using an older version of Windows are able to use the Windows Logo Key + R key combination to bring up the Run dialog box. Please enter “cmd” in the box and use the Ctrl +Shift +Enter key combination to run the Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Copy and paste the command appeared at the bottom. Upon seeing it, make sure you click the Enter key on your keyboard.
Method 2: Clearing the contents of update folder
You can follow these following steps if you want to stop the Windows Update Service because you are either resetting Windows Update components or if you just simply want to try fixing the issue related to the automatic updates. This second method is actually similar to the first one. The only difference is the command.
To perform this method, the first thing that you have to do is to look for Command Prompt either right in the Start menu or by tapping the search button beside it. Please right click on the first result that is shown at the top and pick the Run as administrator option. Those who are using the older version of Windows are allowed to use the Windows Logo Key + R combination to bring up the Run dialog box. Enter “cmd” in the box and press the Ctrl + Shift + Enter at the same time to run Command Prompt as an administrator. Then, copy and paste the command “net stop wuauserv” and “net stop bits” and make sure to press the Enter. The next step is to navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDIstribution by opening the Windows Explorer and hitting On This PC. Ctrl + A key combination can be used to choose all files. Please right click on one of them and select Delete from the context menu. If you want to restart both BITS and Windows Update service, you can run this command in Command Prompt: “net start wuauserv” “net start bits”.
Method 3: Perform a repair installation
Compared to the previous two, this third method might seem desperate as it includes making a bootable Windows media and actually performing a repair installation but it can help you since you will not lose any of your personal files. It worked for plenty of users who were dealing with the same issue and you need to check it out as a last resort, especially if you want Windows Update to work as it will also install the newest version of Windows.
First of all, download the Media Creation Tool software from the official website of Microsoft. Once it is downloaded, open it and accept the terms and conditions. Then, choose the Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC option from the original screen. By doing so, the architecture, language, and the other settings of the bootable drive will be selected based on the settings of your computer, but you need to uncheck the Use the recommended options for this Pc to choose the right settings for the PC which comes with a password. Afterward, hit the Next button and click on the USB drive or DVD option when prompted to select between USB or DVD, depending on which device you want to use to locate this image on. The fifth step is to click Next and choose the USB or DVD drive from the list which will display the storage media linked to your computer. The final step is to click Next and the Media Creation Tool will begin to download the important files in order to create the installation device.
Now that you have your recovery media, you can start to fix the booting issue by starting the recovery drive which you should boot from. Firstly, insert the installation drive. The step should open prompting you to enter the language that you want and time and date settings. Please enter them correctly and select the Repair your computer option located at the bottom of the window. When it is done, select the Choose option screen that will show up to navigate to Troubleshoot >> Reset this PC. The thing will keep your personal files but will delete the apps that you have installed.