In a Task Manager, you will normally see a ctfmon.exe. But, what is it? Is it a virus that can destroy the system of your PC? How to disable it? We will answer all of these questions here so you can check the information below.
What Is ctfmon.exe CTF Loader?
CTF stands for Collaborative Translation Framework. The definition of CTF Loader is an authentication service which can deliver text support for alternative user input applications like speech recognition, keyboard translation, and handwriting. Besides initializing the Alternative User Text Input Processor (TIP), CTF platform also activates the Language Bar of Microsoft Office which is a feature which permits you to be able to seamlessly switch between different input languages when it is loaded.
This process is related to the ctfmon.exe file, usually you are able to find the CTF Loader in the locations below.
The program runs behind the scenes and usually it will begin soon once you commence working on an alternate input device or any other tasks that need it. Also, it may start up automatically at boot and it may remain running in your system tray until you close Microsoft Office or another app which is using it.
Now, the thing that you may also wonder is, is the CTF Loader a virus? It is true that the service runs on a .exe file, the CTF Loader is a legitimate Windows file and there is no evidence which connects it to any spyware or malware. However, it is important for you to know that malware apps creators sometimes give their malware names the same as those common .exe files as part of camouflaging.
There are some issues related to CTF Loader. Here are the common ones.
- Exe (CTF Loader) crashes. Some users reported that the file itself fails in addition to causing other apps to stop.
- The computer becomes sluggish. CTF Loader has also been blamed for completely slowing down computers due to the usage of high RAM.
Usually, the issue comes often after a system update and in some instances, they are able to affect your performance significantly. It can also happen due to error in inputs/ language packs.
If you want to disable the CTF Loader on Windows 10, there are some methods that you are able to apply as explained below. However, before you start, it is better for you to decide to figure out if the CTF loader in Windows 10 has become a virus.
How to Disable ctfmon.exe CTF Loader
Detecting CTF Loader Error on Your Computer
The first method that you can do to disable CTF Loader on Windows 10 is to detect CTF Loader error on your computer. The ctfmon.exe file is located at C:\Windows\System32 folder or System 64 folder under the normal circumstances. If your anti virus program informs you that this CTF loader becomes a potential virus, the ctfmon.exe can be found elsewhere. So, you are able to go to check the working condition of the ctfmon.exe on your computer.
- The first thing that you have to do is to double click This PC from your Desktop to be able to open it.
- After that, in This PC, you have to navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and you have to find out the exe in System 32 folder. You should open the System 64 folder if your computer is on 64-bit.
- Now, you have to right click the ctfmon.exe file to be able to go to its Properties.
- In the ctfmon.exe Properties, under the Details tab, you have to make sure that the Digital Signature is Microsoft Corporation.
After you checked the location and digital signature of the CTF loader process, decide whether you have to remove the ctfmon.exe from Windows 10 or not. If you are able to find it in the designated folder and then you see that the digital signature matches well with the right one, the meaning of it is that on your PC the CTF loader is not a virus. It also means that you do not need to disable it on Windows 10. However, if you are not able to find it or you see that the digital signature is not correct, you are able to disable it on your computer.
Disabling ctfmon.exe Service in Windows 10
How to disable ctfmon.exe service in Windows 10? You are able to see the steps below.
- The first thing that you have to activate the Run box and you can do that by hitting the Windows + R. After that, you have to type in services.msc in the box and then you have to click OK to move on.
- Now, you have to find out and right click Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service to be able to open its Properties. It is important for you to know that this service is relevant to CTF loader Windows 10.
- Now, you have to find Startup type in Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service Properties. You have to set the Startup type as Disabled.
- At last, you have to click on Apply and then choose OK to save changes.
By following the steps above, you will be able to see that your ctfmon.exe will be disabled successfully. So, you will not find CTF loaders running on Windows 10 anymore.
Disabling CTF Loader Automatically
If you want to be able to manage ctfmon.exe effectively, you are able to useAdvanced SystemCare. The startup manager in it will make it more convenient and user friendly to enable or disable or even delay CTF loader service.
- To use Advanced SystemCare, the first thing that you have to do is of course to download it. After you download it, then you have to install and run it.
- Now, you have to find the Toolbox tab and hit Startup Manager to get it running in Advanced SystemCare.
- Next, you have to find out and then choose to set ctfmon.exe as Disabled in IObit Startup Manager under the tab Services.
- If you see ctfmon.exe under Startup Items, you can also disable it. You can also delay the CTF Loader Service if it makes problems to certain programs.