When you have trouble on your network, of course the main thing that you will do is to check your network to know how fast your network is. But, to ease you in testing your network speed performance, you certainly will need some tools which will allow you to generate network traffic. Once you generate it, you can analyze the network’s throughout performance.
Then, how to test your internal LAN network speed and what are the gorgeous tools to test it?
Best 10 Free LAN Tools to Test & Benchmark Your Network Speed Performance
We totally emphasized that to test and benchmark your network speed performance, at least you need to use some tools to ease you. In fact, there are tons of free LAN tools that you can use to test and check your network performance, but keep in mind that not all LAN tools are reliable and worthy to use.
Of course, you need to filter and choose the best one. But, you may not know which free LAN tools that can help you in testing and evaluating your network performance. No worry! We are here definitely to help you to choose some recommended free LAN tools. So, let’s see the best 10free LAN tools to test and benchmark your network speed performance!
The first recommended LAN tool to test your Network performance is HELIOS LanTest. This free-tool can work on Windows and MacOS. Indeed, it is a very popular network performance and reliability testing solution. However, this tool is so easy to use within seconds and scales from single local disk testing. It also can be used to evaluate the performance of a network volume as well as multi-user concurrent client testing against a single server volume.
HELIOS LanTest has been designed using the latest native APIs. Its design is to test common file I/O operations used when working with files on server volumes. To range from slower networks like standard Ethernet/DSL up to 40 Gigabit Ethernet, of course the five different setups are available. To use it, ensure to choose the proper network environment for the existing connection between client and server.
Here are the results of HELIOS LanTest that you can see on the screen:
|Network connection||Test File Size|
|Slow (Standard Ethernet/DSL)||3 MB (read/write/print)|
|Fast (Fast Ethernet)||30 MB (read/write/print)|
|Very fast (Gigabit Ethernet)||300 MB (read/write/print)|
|Enterprise (10 Gigabit Ethernet)
|3000 MB (read/write)
2000 MB (print)
|Backbone (40 Gigabit Ethernet)||12000 MB (read/write)
2000 MB (print)
How to get HELIOS LanTest? Well, to get it, you can download this tool through HELIOS WebShare at http://webshare.helios.de/. You can type “tools” for username and password.
2–LAN Speed Test Lite
The second trusted LAN tools to test your network speed performance is LAN Speed Test Lite which will work for Windows and MacOS. This tool definitely was designed from the ground up to be simple but it’s so powerful to test your network speed performance. It can be used to measure file transfer, USB drive, hard drive and Local Area Network (LAN) speed (wired or wireless).
How to use it?
Before you want to use it, make sure that you already downloaded LAN Speed Test Lite that you can get from https://totusoft.com/lanspeed
- First, you have to pick up a folder to test. This folder actually can be on a local drive or USB drive to test the network speed or test the drive speed.
- After that, this tool builds a file in a memory, then you can transfer it both ways while keeping track of the time. Then, it does the calculation for you.
- You can also run LAN Speed Test Server instead to take the slower hard drives out of the process when you’re testing from one computer’s RAM to another computer’s RAM.
That’s it! It’s a simple concept and easy to use, isn’t it?
Here are the features of LAN Speed Test Lite:
- Testing the speed of your Local Network by checking to/from network shared folders
- Testing the speed of your local drives (Hard Drives, USB Drives and many more.)
- Appropriate with LST Server to get the real network performance results without any hard drive limitations
- Very fast! Most tests are less than 1 minute
- Completely Portable – No installation needed
LANBench is a standalone simple LAN tool which can only be used for Windows. This tool is designed to perfectly test your network speed performance between two computers based on Winsock 2.2. It is also designed for minimal CPU usage so that your network performance can be fully tested.
So, here are the features of LANBench:
- Low CPU overhead for network performance test
- Multiple connections up to 20 for load simulation
- Configurable packet size, transfer mode and test duration
- Multithread utilizing Windows I/O completion sort
How to get LANBench? If you are really interested to use this tool to test your Network performance, you certainly can get it at https://download.cnet.com/LANBench/3000-2085_4-10974206.html.
4—TamoSoft Throughput Test
TamoSoft Throughput Test is a useful tool which utilizes to test the performance of a wireless or wired network. This tool actually works to send TCP and UDP data streams across your network and computer important metrics including packet loss, upstream, and downstream throughput values, round-trip time. The metric displays the results in both chart and numeric formats.
Moreover, this tool also supports both IPv4 and IPv6 connections. It definitely allows you to benchmark your network performance based on the Quality of Service (QoS) settings. If you want to run this tool, you need to know that this uses two components: server and client. The server listens for connections from the client and the client connects to the server. Then, once the connection has been established, the server and the client send the data in both directions. Furthermore, the client computes and displays the network metrics.
This tool will work on Windows, Android and Mac with the detailed version as follow:
- Windows: Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2012,.
- MacOS: Mojave (10.14), Catalina (10.15), Sierra (10.12), High Sierra (10.13),
- Android (client only): Android 4.1 and newer.
- iOS (client only): iOS 8.0 and newer.
How to get TamoSoft Throughput Test? You definitely can get this tool to test your network performance at https://www.tamos.com/products/throughput-test/.
Netress is a network benchmarking tool that allows you to generate network traffic and analyze the network performance. When you use this tool you actually will get the results of the comparison with the previous test. Then, it will indicate whether or not there is a problem and dictate which steps to take for next.
Apart from your technical expertise and how expensive the tools you use, if you modify a wireless network or make decisions to modify it, then, you do not test throughput, we emphasize that you just waste your time a lot and you take the wrong path at all.
The features of NetStress tool are as follow:
- Single instance of the tool (It means each instance can be used as server or server plus client)
- To support both UDP and TCP data transfers
- To support multiple data streams
- Variable Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU)
- Variable TCP / UDP segment size
- Rate of packet transmission (Packets Per Second)
- The options of display units (KBps, Kbps, MBps, Mbps)
- To support for multiple network adapters
- Auto node discovery
- Uplink and downlink modes
How to get this tool? If you want to test and evaluate your network speed performance, you certainly have to download it first. Here is the link to download Netress: http://nutsaboutnets.com/archives/netstress/.
NetIO-GUI is a LAN tool for Windows which displays for the multi platform command line utility ‘netio’. It is totally used to measure ICMP response times and network transfer rates for different packet sizes and protocols. Once you use it to test your network speed performance, all results actually will be stored in a SQLite database file and can be compared easily. This tool is preferred to rate the quality of peer-to-peer connections like VPN.
You can get any features from this tool, here they are:
- It is available as a portable and setup version. Click “Browse All Files” to download it.
- Can export results as CSV or Excel sheets.
How to get NetIO-GUI tool? To test and evaluate your Network speed performance, you certainly can get this tool at https://sourceforge.net/projects/netiogui/.
7–PassMark Advanced Network Test
This network benchmarking tool works with any type of TCP/IP connection. It includes cable modems, ADSL, dial up modems, ethernet, Wireless Networking (WiFi), Wide Area Networks (WAN) and Local Area Network (LAN). This tool actually has been optimized to use a minimum of CPU time that allows even high speed GB ethernet connections to be evaluated.
The PassMark Advanced Network Test is designed to test the data transfer rate between two computers which should be running PerformanceTest. In this case, one of the computers should act as the server and sit waiting for a connection. Meanwhile, the other computer roles as a client which connects to the server machine and sends data to it for the duration of the benchmarking.
By using this tool, you will have the ability to change some test parameters below!
- The IP address of the machine roles as the server. The port number is used for testing to help with firewall issues.
- The users can change the test duration.
- The size of the data block can be changed for each send request. It’s possible to choose variable sized blocks to measure performance deltas as block size either increases or decreases.
- The users can change the number of Test Threads.
- The protocol either UDP or TCP can be changed. Change TCP Protocol is when data integrity is important. Then, UDP is definitely used with apps which are tolerant to data loss such as video streaming.
- Change for Windows RIO (Registered Input/ Output API Extension) Socket Options.
How to get the PassMark Advanced Network Test tool? You definitely can download this tool at https://www.passmark.com/products/performancetest/pt_advnet.php.
This tool is the free and the first version of EVEREST and now it is well-known as AIDA32. If you are a veteran in the software sector, you perfectly recognize EVEREST software as one of the most popular hardware benchmarking tools. Now, AIDA32 is a part of EVEREST which comes with a simple plugin or network benchmark that you cannot find in AIDA64 or EVEREST anymore.
The AIDA32 Benchmarking page actually provides several methods to measure your network speed performance. The benchmarks are synthetic, so it will result only in the theoretical (maximum) performance of the system. When you use it, you can also save it to file in various formats including CSV or XML and HTML. If you are corporate users, you are able to upgrade to command-line switches, audit statistics, network audits, network management and remote system information.
- AIDA32 informs the detailed information about your system
- This app helps diagnose system problems
- It shows the database of over 22,000 components
- AIDA32 may run slowly while scanning and diagnosing.
How to run AIDA32?
- All you need to run the AIDA32 benchmark is to download it first.
- Then, you need to unzip it and find aida32.exe.
- Once you find it, you can run it.
- After you come to the menu of AIDA32, you have to choose the Plugin and AIDA32 network benchmark.
- In this case, you have to run the tool on both tested computers.
- Then, on one computer, you need to choose Master, then Start. While, on the other computer, you can choose Slave. Slave here provides the IP address of the Master.
- After that, choose the Bandwidth tab, press Start.
How to get the AIDA32 tool? You actually can download the tool at https://aida32.en.softonic.com/.
9–IPERF SPEED TEST
iPerf is an active tool to measure the maximum achievable bandwidth on your IP address. This tool actually supports tuning of various parameters related to buttefs and protocols (TCP, UDP, SCTP with IPv4 and IPv6) and time how fast the network will respond.
If you really want to test your network speed performance on your devices, of course this tool can be a best option for you. Moreover, this tool is pretty popular, credible and reliable to use. iPerf perfectly runs on some platforms including Windows, Linux, iOS, MacOS and Android.
Once you test your network speed performance, the tool will result in bandwidth, loss and other parameters. Well, to convince you in choosing this tool, here are the features of iPerf:
UDP work for:
- Measure the packet loss
- Measure delay jitter
- Multicast capable
- Client will create UDP streams of specified bandwidth
TCP and SCTP works for:
- Measure bandwidth
- To support for TCP Windows size via socket buffers
- To report MSS/MTU size and observed read sizes
- Set IPv6 flow label (-L option)
- Ignore TCP slow start (-O option)
- Use SCTP rather than TCP (–sctp option)
- Adjust target bandwidth for (new) TCP (-b option) and UDP
- Output in JSON format (-J option)
- Set congestion control algorithm (-C option)
- Disk write tests (client: iperf3 -c testhost -i1/ server: iperf3 -s -F filename /)
- Disk read test (client: iperf3 -c testhost -i1 -F filename/ server: iperf3 -s /)
- The server and client can have multiple connection (-P) options.
- It can run for specified time (-t) rather than a set amount of data to transfer (-n or -k option).
- The server handles multiple connections rather than exiting after a single test.
- This tool actually run the server as daemon (-D option)
- The server receive multiple clients simultaneously (iPerf2) and a single client simultaneously (iPerf3)
- It uses representative streams to check out how link layer influence your achievable bandwidth (-F option)
- It perfectly prints periodic, jitter, loss reports and intermediate bandwidth at specified intervals (-i option).
How to use iPerf? If you want to use this tool to test and benchmark your network speed performance, at least you need to follow any steps below!
- First, you need to download the iPerf tool.
- After that, unzip it and extract it within two computers.
- On each computer, you have to open the Command Prompt. On the first computer, you can type “iPerf3.exe –s. While, one the second one, type “iPerf3.exe –c 0.0.0.0”.
- After that, you can fill in the 0 with your server’s IP address, for example: iPerf3.exe –c 22.214.171.124
How to get the iPerf tool? To get it, here is the link to download it: https://iperf.fr/.
10–Microsoft Network Speed Test
The last recommended network benchmarking tool to test your network speed performance is Microsoft Network Speed Test. You definitely can use this tool to get most out of your network and diagnoze potential issues including your network delay, upload speed delay and download speed delay.
Moreover, this tool measures your network connection’s latency throughput. Microsoft Network Speed Test will inform you what activities you may be able to do such as video calls or stream your favorite music. But, it also depends on your connection’s speed. This tool will show you a history of your previous tests for easy comparisons.
When you use Network Speed Test to test your network speed performance, of course the characteristics of your device and the network connection will be sent to Microsoft. Here, Microsoft works to help improve the understanding of network quality and availability.
If you agree to use this tool, of course it may collect the information about your location at the time of the test. Then, the data the tool collects is not associated with you and will not be used to identify or contact your or for other purposes such as targeted marketing.
The feature of Microsoft Network Speed Test
- It measures your network speed performance, download and upload speeds.
- It shows your past network performance history
- It presents all information about your network such as BSSID and SSID when you are connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot.
- The tool will really understand what the activities you’re doing such as streaming music.
To run this tool, the system requirements that you must have are:
Your device have to meet all minimum requirements to use this tool
- OS: Architecture
- Windows 8: ARM, x64, x86
Your device have to meet the requirements to get the best experience
- OS: Architecture
- Windows 8: ARM, x64, x86
How to get a Microsoft Network Speed Test? If you really want to use this tool to test and benchmark your network speed performance, you surely can get this tool at here .
Once you click this link, you will find the Get button. Then, click it. After you download it, you can install it on your device and run it to test your network speed performance. Need to know that this tool is totally free. So, it is no reason for you to not use this tool.
Well, those are the best 10 free LAN tools to test and benchmark your network speed performance that you can use. Make sure to choose the best one.
Why You Should Use a LAN Tool to Test Your Network Speed Performance?
When you get any issues related to network speed performance, of course it may be a normal thing that you always confront. But, how if this issue often happens every time you use the internet. That’s so frustrating, isn’t it?
Generally, the trouble on network speed performance which happens in Local Area Network will take a lot of thought. However, the issue of network speed performance on LAN will be different from the WAN or WiFi network. To solve this issue, the users also must have any gorgeous tools.
Well, in order to solve the network speed performance issue, we definitely need to use any ways to test and benchmark its performance. By using the tool, of course it will show your network speed performance, so you can detect why it happens.
That’s why LAN benchmarking tools are recommended to use to test your network speed performance. The concept is to install a new wireless network and it will work perfectly. To test and evaluate your Network speed performance, you definitely have to run those tools above. Certainly, once you run it, you will get satisfaction in knowing how fast your network performance is as you oftenly use it.