Surface pen is an active stylus and digital pen which is developed by Microsoft for its series of Surface computing devices. This pen is designed to showcase the pen computing capabilities of Microsoft’s Windows 8/8.1 and also Windows 10 OS. In 2012, the first Surface Pen was introduced together with the Surface Pro.
This pen has one physical button on the side to be able to stimulate a right click when the pen comes into contact with the display and also an eraser tip at the top of the Pen that can remove ink strokes when it contact with the display. When you use this Surface pen, sometimes you might face that it does not work and you do not know what to do. If the Surface pen does not work, then you are not able to get back to writing, drawing, and multitasking on your Windows 10 computer.
Download the Latest Windows 10 Update
This method can be applied when you find that your Surface pen is not working. The reason of why it is not working can be because you have not installed the latest Windows update on your device. If you perform a Windows update on your Surface, it will not only download the latest Windows 10 OS update but it will also update and fix your device drivers. So, follow the steps below.
- If you want to check for the latest Windows 10 update and any new drivers, you have to swipe in from the right side of the screen with your finger to be able to open the Action Center.
- After that, you have to tap All Settings and then tap Update & Security.
- In the middle of the screen, you have to tap the grey Check for updates button and then your Surface will automatically download any available updates and drivers from the server of Microsoft.
If your Surface restarts automatically after installing an update, it is important for you to know that a manual restart is sometimes needed for some changes to take effect. If you want to restart Surface, you have to click on the Windows icon in the lower left corner of the screen. Then, click on the power icon and after that click on Restart.
Check the Battery of Surface Pen
One of the reason of why your Surface Pen is not working can be because of a flat battery since as you know that all Surface Pens are powered by an AAAA battery. So, how to check it?
- If you want to check the battery in your Surface Pen, you have to press and hold the eraser button on the end of the stylus for five to seven seconds. Then, a small LED light should turn on. If it is green, it means that the battery still has a charge. If it is red light, it means that it is almost flat and should be replaced. If it is no light, it means that the battery is already dead.
- If you want to replace the battery, you have to open the Surface Pen by firmly twisting and then you need to pull the eraser end of the stylus. If the Stylus has been opened, the battery is able to be swapped out for a new one.