You may be wondering for the term of igfxtray.exe that probably appears in your computer. When it appears, of course, there will be a pop up who informs you to run it or not. Even though you do not run igfxtray.exe, if it often appears, of course, that’s totally annoying, isn’t it?
SO, let’s find out what igfxtray.exe is and how it works? Then, how to fix if something error happens?
What is igfxtray.exe?
igfxtray definitely stands for Intel Graphics System Tray Helper Icon. In other words, igfxtray.exe is a software component developed by Intel Corporation for the module Intel Common User Interface. Generally, the process comes on your computer as part of the Graphics Media Accelerator Driver shipped along with NVIDIA graphics cards and Windows drivers for Intel. This software presents an icon in your taskbar notification tray through which any user can access Intel Graphics Configuration.
Unfortunately, when it appears on your computers, it is such an annoying thing that may make the users furious at all. However, there are many users who reported when a dialogue box of igfxTray always appeared when starting the system while also prompting a security warning. Indeed, the warning pop up will spawn again when the users start your computer next time although you choose Run or Cancel. Then, even though this app is a valid process of Intel Common User Interface but it definitely conflicts with your system, and can prove to be a real distraction.
How can igfxTray.exe appear on your computer?
The igfxTray.exe is generally situated in the C:\Windows\System32 as a process which runs on Windows and known as the Graphic Accelerator Helper model. This app normally demonstrates an icon which permits Intel Graphics configuration and diagnostic application on the notification tray.
The process of igfxTray.exe begins when Windows starts. But, you need to know that it is not a virus or malware, however this document is commonly viewed as safe. This process is actually available on your PC as a feature of Graphics Media Accelerator Driver which is with NVIDIA graphics cards and Windows drivers.
Moreover, .exe expansion on a filename proposes, it is an executable file. Well, the executable documents someday can harm your PC. So, if the igfxTray.exe continually appears on your computer, of course it is recommended for you to check it. When you check it, you may find the app in detail:
- Name: igfxTray.exe
- File Type: .exe Application
- Digital Signature: Intel (R) pGFX
- Location: C:\Windows\System32
- Size on Disk: 380 Kb
How to know if igfxTray.exe is authentic or not?
Certainly, there are several virus and malware applications which disguise themselves under the name and grub up around your computer causing harm. In this case, you can easily check whether the process is legit using two checks. However, it has to be in the correct system directory and it must have a verified digital signature.
Then, how to check if igfxTray is authentic or not. Follow our steps below!
- First, you can right-click on the application in the task manager, then choose Properties.
- On General tab, you can look out for the location of the executable “C:\Windows\System32”. You totally will know that the location of this executable file ois one of the significant things that can guide you to know the fake program.
- Now, you can choose the Digital Signatures tab. All the signatures can be viewed here against whom the application is signed.
- On the average, the file size of igfxTray.exe on Windows 10 is 376 Kb.
Well, the valid process will pass both the checks. If you get both, it means that the process is causing no harm to your computer.
How to disable igfxTray.exe on startup?
When you are getting a warning prompt whenever you start your computer, it means that you have to disable igfxTray.exe on your computer. Here are the ways to disable igfxTray.exe on your startup:
Solution 1: Using Windows Defender
- First, you can press the Windows button, then, type Windows Security Settings and click on it.
- Choose the Open Windows Defender Security Center button.
- Then, click on Virus and threat protection.
- After that, click on Manage Settings under Virus and threat protection settings.
- In this step, you need to scrawl down, then click on Add or remove exclusions under Exclusions heading.
- Click on + Add an exclusion, select Folder.
- Ensure that the process is present in C:\Windows\System32\igfxTray.exe before adding the exclusion.
You definitely have to use full pathname, only the name of the process or put a star in the expansion space of the program. Once you restart your computer, you need to check if the current issue got settled.
Solution 2: Using Registry Editor
If the problem does not solve using the first solution, you definitely can disable the service by using the registry editor. We will guide you in deleting the entry from Run that will delete the entry from running, forcing it not to pop anymore.
You need to know that the registry editor is a powerful tool. So, deleting incorrect keys probably render your computer unusable and induce further problems on your computer.
- First, you need to press Windows + R to open Run, then type Regedit, enter.
- After you’re in the registry editor, navigate to the following file path HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
- Then, you can delete the entry “C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe”. Deleting by Run will ensure you that the process does not start when your computer is starting.
- Now, you can restart your computer.
Solution 3: Using System Configuration
Indeed, the Startup tab of the system configuration will show you all the processes that run a startup. However, you can disable service utilizing system configuration to stop igfxTray.exe appearing again on your computer.
- First, you need to press the Windows + R button, then, type MSconfig and press enter.
- After that, click on Startup tab and then Open Task Manager.
- Find igfxTray right click on it. Select Disable.
- Now, close the tab. Then, restart your PC. igfxTray app automatically will not be executed.
Well, those are all the information that you can know related to what the igfxTray.ex is, how it appears and how to disable it.