Speed of writing or reading drives is frequently used to rate storage devices such as hard drives, memory cards or USB sticks. Also, this speed is one of the ways to show the performance of the hard drive. Currently, there are lots of software tools to check the read and write speed of hard drives. One of them is CrystalDiskMark. By the way, how to use CrystalDiskMark? Let us discuss here.
HOW TO USE CRYSTALDISKMARK ON THE COMPUTER
Apparently, there are some easy steps that you have to do to use CrystalDiskMark on the computer. Here are steps:
- At the first step, you have to download and install CrystalDiskMark software.
- In the first interface, you are going to see the full parameters. You will be able to know the total number of drives on the computer that you are using as well as the amount that the drive uses. Now, you have to choose the drive to check the burning speed.
- The next step that you have to do is to click the All button to check, or choose 1 of the 4 modes to check. The testing process may take approximately 6 to 10 minutes depending on the amount of data stored.
The results after checking the hard disk read and write speed is going to produce different parameters.
We have to pay attention to the sequential test mode. You are going to see the hard drive read speed is 102.6 MB / s and the hard drive’s write speed is 92.73 MB / s. In addition, other parameters are going to have different meanings.
- Seq Q32T1: Sequentially, the data is read and written to the vicinity of the drive. Generally, this sequential test mode is going to give the fastest speed.
- 4KiB Q8T8: The data is read on the data areas by random, with Q being 8 and T being 8.
- 4KiB Q32T1 (Uses 4k file sizes): Random write and read data on data areas Q is 32, T is 1.
- 4KiB Q1T1: The data is read and read on the data areas randomly with Q being 1 and T being 1.
As a result, the drive’s read and write speed is relatively fast, particularly the read speed of the drive. Also, you are able to compare the result along with the performance information provided by the manufacturer. You will be able to figure out if it’s time for a newer and faster replacement as well.
CrystalDiskMark software is going to allow you to quickly know the read and write speed of the drive on the computer. In addition to checking CPU parameters, or checking configuration and hardware information, you will be able to use CPU-Z software. This software is used by lots of people as it gives clear and accurate parameters for the users. You are able to cause CrystalDiskMark to check an SSD (solid-state drive), HDD (hard drive), memory card or USB. As we know that the tool offers four methods to check read speed, write different data for the user comparison. Whenever you get a new device or you are upgrading HDD or SSD. It is really a nice idea to test their performance to ensure the drive is working. Although you discover a bunch of tools out there, on Windows 10, you are also able to use CrystalDiskMark, which is a popular tool. That offers you permission to perform a number of tests to measure the reads and writes speeds of virtually any kind of drive.
Aside from that, CrystalDiskMark is also able to run sequential and random read and write tests. It is going to display the benchmark results in megabytes/second (MB/s) and Input or Output Operations Per Second (IOPS). That is very useful information that you are able to use to understand the performance of your new drive or figure out if your old drive is losing performance or not. Basically CrystalDiskMark is a small HDD benchmark function for your hard drive. It enables you to rapidly measure sequential as well as random read or write speeds.
HOW TO MEASURE HARD DRIVE SPEED PERFORMANCE VIA CRYSTALDISKMARK
Please close all the running programs, and do these easy steps:
- At the first step, you are able to download CrystalDiskMark from the Microsoft Store.
- After that, you have to tap on the Install button.
- Then, simply you are able to open Start.
- You need to search for CrystalDiskMark and select the top result to open the app.
- Now, you have to use the first drop-down menu on the left, select the number of runs. (If the default is 5, you are also able to change it to 3, that is enough to get more accurate results)
- Using the second drop-down menu, you have to choose the file size that the app is going to use to benchmark the drive. In fact, the default selection is more than enough in most of the cases.
- Using the third drop-down menu on the right, you have to select the drive (SDD or HDD) that you want to test.
- Now, you only need to tap on the All button.
Whenever you are using the All option, next the tool will be able to run all the available tests. Also, this includes the sequential reads and writes as well three different 4KiB random tests. If you only want to run a single test, so you have to tap on the green button on the left.
Well, the text above is an explanation about how to use CrystalDiskMark on the computer and how to measure a drive reads and writes performance via CrystalDiskMark. If you want to get more information related to CrystalDiskMark, simply you are able to read other articles on our site. We hope you like this information, and also find it helpful to you. Please give us your feedback on it. Aside from that, if you have further queries and problems related to this article, do not hesitate to let us know in the comments section below.