When you used Disk Cleanup to free up space on your device, but then there is a Low Disk Space error, it means that you have to do something to fix it. But, what effort do we have to do to be able to fix this error?
Fixing Low Disk Space Error Due To A Full Temp Folder
If you find a Low Disk Space error when using Disk Cleanup to free up space on your device, it may be because your Temp folder is quickly filling up with application (.appx) files which are used by Microsoft Store. How to fix this issue? Resetting the Store, clearing the Store cache and running the Windows update troubleshooter are several things that you have to do. You are able to follow the steps below of doing these efforts to fix Low Disk Space Error due to a Full Temp Folder.
- If you want to reset Microsoft Store to fix low disk space error because of a full temp folder, you have to choose Start and then choose Settings and go to Update & Security which then access Troubleshoot. After that, you have to scroll down and choose Windows Store App from the list and choose Run the troubleshooter.
- Next, to clear the cache in Microsoft Store, you have to press the Windows Logo Key + R to be able to open the Run dialog box. After that, you have to type wsreset.exe and then you must click on OK. There will be a blank Command Prompt window which will open. After about ten seconds, the window will close and then the Store will automatically open.
- Now, how to reset Windows Update? To do that, you have to choose Start and then choose Settings. After that, access Update & Security and then select Troubleshoot. After accessing it, you have to scroll down and then you have to make sure that you choose Windows Update from the list. After that, you have to choose Run the Troubleshooter.
- In this step, you have to reboot your computer and then you are able to see whether you are still finding the issue or not.
It is important for you to know that if your PC is running low on free space, installing important Windows updates may not be able to be done by you. Also, it will be able to affect the performance of your PC. If you want to check the total disk space which is left on your Windows 10 device, you are able to choose File Explorer from the taskbar. After that, you have to choose This PC on the left. Then, you will be able to see that the available space on your drive appears under Devices And Drives.
Temp Directory and Appx
There are some terms that you need to know related to this issue. First is a temp directory or temporary folder. What is it? It is a directory on a storage medium such as on a hard drive which is used to store files which are temporary. Usually, this directly is named Temp and it may contain files ending with .tmp. Now, what about AppX? It is the application distribution file format. Basically, files with an APPX extension are a package of application which is ready for distribution and installation.
Applications of traditional computers have relied on clunky installers named wizards to sort out and set up the program’s components. However, this paradigm does not work well across multiple mobile platforms. The AppX approach is particularly effective for distributing applications which are suited for multiple devices and it includes tablets, PCs and smartphones.
According to the Windows Club site, a full temp folder with .appx files can trigger low disk space error in Windows 10.
What Is The Meaning Of Low Disk Space?
A warning message saying Low Disk Space usually will appear in Windows operating systems when you boot up PC or open a computer hard drive. It is important for you to know that there are two types of warning messages. What are they? You are able to see in the list below.
- The first type is that in the message, you will see that it says Low Disk Space. Then, there is an additional message saying that you are running out of disk space on Local Disk (X). It also says that you have to click here to see if you can free space on this drive. If you find this error, the meaning is that your local drive (X) is running out of free space for saving data.
- The second type is that in the message, you will be able to see that it says Low Disk Space. In addition, in the message, it says that you are running out of space on this PC. Then, it orders you to manage storage to be able to view usage and free up some space. You need to know that this error does not come up regularly. Mainly, it is related to the C:\Windows\Temp folder. If the folder is full, you will be able to see the error on Windows startup.
If the Windows prompts low disk space warning messages, you are able to hardly save new data, download apps, play games or install a latest Windows update. The worst thing is that the performance of your PC may be affected.
If the low disk space messages that appear on your PC are like these two above, you are able to fix it by extending disk space. This method can be applied to fix low disk space error with available free space in Windows 10/ 8/ 7 hard drives. If you want to add usable space to extend the low disk partition, there is an all-round partition manager software, EaseUS Partition Master that can help you out. It is a third party software which is handy. It will permit you to extend/ shrink a partition safely and easily, format a partition, convert a file system, clone a hard drive, migrate Windows OS and many more on Windows 10/8/7.