Windows 10 Spotlight is informative and pretty for Windows 10. However, it does not server much of a purpose. Actually, it only takes a swipe or a click and drag to dismiss it, but if you want to disable the Windows Spotlight on Windows 10, here are some ways to do it.
For those who are running the latest April Update of Windows 10 Home edition, then the best option to turn off the Windows 10 Spotlight is to add the new registry key. There are a few steps to do so, but if you follow them one after the other, you will soon know the method to get rid of the Windows Spotlight for good.
- First of all, open the Windows 10 registry editor. You can do it by typing “Regedit” into the Windows search bar and choose the corresponding result.
- When you are asked whether to allow the app to make changes to your device, please select Yes.
- From the left-hand menu, you have to double-click HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE.
- Press SOFTWARE twice.
- Press Policies twice.
- Press Microsoft twice.
- Right-click Windows.
- From the drop-down menu, choose New, and then choose Key.
- Name it Personalization.
- Choose the key that you just created. Then, right-click in the right-hand window pane and choose New, then choose DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Aftre that, rename the “New Value #1” DWORD you just created as NoLockScreen. Do not forget that Regedit should automatically select the name of the entry for customizing, but if not, right click it and choose Rename.
- Press NoLockScreen twice.
- In the Value data thing, type 1.
If you want to find out if the change you mad has taken the effect, please press Windows key + L to lock your PC. In case you are taken straight to the login screen rather than the lock screen that usually proceed it, it means that you have successfully disabled Windows 10 Spotlight.
How to turn off Windows Spotlight in Windows 10 Pro? Here are the steps to follow:
- The first thing that should be done is to search for “Gpedit” in the Windows 10 search bar and choose the corresponding result.
- In the Local Ground Policy Editor window, please look to the left hand menu and double click Administrative Templates.
- Then, double click Control Panel.
- Next, choose Personalization.
- Afterward, double click Do not display the lock screen in the right hand window pane.
- Finally, choose Enabled in the top left and then choose Apply and choose OK option.
Please test if you have successfully disabled the Windows 10 Spotlight by pressing Windows key+L. If you are taken to the login screen, it means you have successfully removed the Windows 10 Spotlight from the system. In case you ever want to re-enable the Windows 10 Spotlight, you are able to repeat the steps above that choose Disabled during the step six instead.