Bad Image error is an error that comes up once Windows cannot run the programs you tried running due to the files and libraries required to run the program are corrupted due to an update. Bad image error occurs if the system is unable to respond to an instructed action. The error tells us that the expected action cannot be performed, and may indicate a similar reason. For example, you receive a self-explanatory error message once you try to open a bad file.
Based on the research, every version of the Windows Operating System starting with Windows 8 is configured to check for download and install available updates automatically from time to time. But, sometimes, installing specific Windows updates are able to lead to various kinds of issues. One of those issues is the (name of application).exe – Bad Image error message which starts appearing frequently after downloading and installing a defective update for Windows or updating a Windows computer to an iteration of Windows 8/10 which has the defective update pre-installed.
As we explained above, usually you are going to see this error when you are launching an application fails due to corruption of several system files required to run the application flawlessly. So, how to fix a Bad Image error? Well, in this article, we are going to share some ways to fix Bad Image error as well some reasons why it occurs.
REASONS FOR BAD IMAGE ERROR
As system files are program files, anything which modifies them may cause corruption. Here are the reasons that may corrupt system files and result in Bad Image error. Please look at the text below!
- There is incomplete installation or uninstallation of a software.
- Installation of defective Windows updates.
- Malware attack.
- Improper shutdown of the system.
Hence, if we are able to undo the changes which caused the corruption of some system files, we must be able to fix the Bad Image error. Now, let us troubleshoot in that direction to fix the error.
HOW TO FIX BAD IMAGE ERROR
Apparently, there are some methods that you can do to fix Bad Image error. Please look at the text below to find out all methods.
METHOD 1: UNINSTALL RECENTLY INSTALLED PROGRAMS
If you face this error started appearing after installing any software, you are able to uninstall it. To do that, you will be able to follow these steps below:
- At the first step, you have to click the Windows search box at the bottom left corner of the Windows taskbar and then type Control Panel.
- The second step, you have to click “Control Panel” application.
- After that, you are able to click “Programs and Features.”
- The next step that you have to do is to choose the program which needs to be uninstalled
- Now, you are able to click “Uninstall” and follow the prompts to complete the action
- After you finish uninstalling the software, please restart your system and see if the Bad Image error is solved.
METHOD 2: UNINSTALL RECENT WINDOWS UPDATES
Even though Microsoft releases Windows updates to add some new features, and to take refinements to your existing Windows OS, but the installation of Windows updates may not go well at times. If you are viewing a Bad Image error after recently installed Windows updates, please uninstall it. To do that, you have to follow these steps below:
- The first thing that you have to do is to click the Windows search box at the bottom left corner of the Windows taskbar and then type Control Panel.
- After that, you have to click the “Control Panel” application.
- The next step that you have to do is click “Programs and Features.”
- Afterwards, you are able to click “View installed updates.” This is going to show all the installed Windows updates. You will be able to click Installed On to sort the updates by their installation dates.
- Now, you have to right-click the update you had installed recently, and choose Uninstall to uninstall. Please click Yes to confirm.
- The last step, you only need to restart the system to complete the process of uninstall and see if the Bad Image error is solved.
METHOD 3: RESET WINDOWS
If the method above does not fix the Bad Image error, you are able to try resetting or reinstalling Windows by doing the steps below:
- Firstly, you have to click the Windows search box at the bottom left corner of Windows taskbar and then type Control Panel.
- Then, you have to click at the Control Panel app.
- After that, click at the Recovery.
- In this step, you need to click “If you’re having a problem with your PC, go to Settings and try resetting it”.
- Next, On the Settings page, you have to click at the Get started, under Reset this PC.
- Lastly, if you wish to keep your personal data, simply you have to choose at the Keep my files. Choose remove everything and follow the prompts to reinstall Windows.
Remember that selecting any of two options will be able to delete the installed apps and settings.
METHOD 4: CLEAN INSTALL WINDOWS
You have to know that clean installation of Windows is able to make data loss. For this case, backup your data and then do a clean installation. To do a clean installation of Windows, you will need to:
- Download media creation tools.
- Use it to make installation media on a USB or DVD.
Well, the text above is a list of methods to fix the Bad Image error. When you get the error, do not hesitate to try doing those methods. We are sure that your problem can be solved. As explained above, we are able to conclude that the Bad Image error occurs when trying to access an application but it fails to load due to the corruption of some system files. However, there are some methods to fix the error. So, you do not worry if you get the Bad Image error.