If the application ctfmon.exe or CTF Loader is not running in your Windows 10, it can give you some symptoms. One of them is that when you open your Microsoft Edge web browser and then you try to type something in the address bar, nothing happens. It means that you are not able to type anything in the address bar.
Effects of Ctfmon Not Running
Another thing that will happen if the ctfmon.exe is not running is that when you try to type something in the Start menu or Cortana search box, you also find the same thing. Windows does not accept any input from the keyboard so that you are not able to search for the apps and programs.
Unabling to press any key such as Space bar to remove the Lock Screen is also one of the symptoms that the ctfmon.exe is not running. When it happens, you have to click using the mouse button and then you can login by typing the password on Login Screen.
So, basically the Windows cannot accept any input from the keyboard in Microsoft Edge, Start Menu, Cortana Search, Lock Screen and even some other places. As mentioned above that these errors happen because ctfmon.exe is not running. What is the correlation between the ctfmon.exe with these errors? Well, ctfmon.exe is an application which comes preinstalled with Windows 10 and it has a responsibility to the work of features such as handwriting, speech recognition, language schemes and many more. You are able to find this ctfmon.exe application in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
How To Solve Ctfmon Not Running on Windows 10
So, what can we do to solve this problem? If you find that the ctfmon.exe in your PC is not running or you find the symptoms as we explained above, then you are able to apply some methods below.
- The first thing that you have to do is to press the Win + R key at the same time so that it will launch the Run dialog box.
- After that, you have to copy and paste the text below in the Run dialog box and then press Enter key.
- Now, you are able to try to open anything in Microsoft Edge, Start Menu, Cortana Search or Lock Screen and also Windows so that it will start accepting the keyboard input.
If you want to fix this issue permanently, you are able to add an entry of this program to startup so that it will be able to start itself with Windows. How to add the ctfmon.exe app to startup? You are able to follow the steps below.
- The first thing that you have to do is to press Win+R key at the same time to be able to launch the Run dialog box. And then, you have to type regedit and press Enter. It will open the Registry Editor.
- In this step, you have to go to this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
- Now, in the right side pane, you have to create a new string with the name ctfmon and you have to set its value to C:\Windows\System32\ctfmon.exe.
- Here, you have to close the Registry Editor and then you must restart your system. After reboot, you will see that the app will keep running in the background and you will not be able to see the annoying keyboard input issue in your Windows 10.
What is CTF Loader or Ctfmon.exe?
CTF Loader or ctfmon.exe is a service which is running in Windows. It has a task to monitor the active windows and also it offers text support for some services such as handwriting and speech recognition, foreign languages, and other alternative user input options that you are able to find in the Microsoft Office software.
If There Is An Error With the ctfmon.exe, What Are The Reasons?
If you find that ctfmon.exe or CTF Loader error, there are some reasons which are responsible for the error. Here they are.
- You may install the Microsoft Office in a way which is not proper.
- There is a conflict between Windows Update files with the CTF Loader.
- There are errors which can be found in inputs or language packs.
- There are viruses and malware which are hidden in the system.
How To Fix The Ctfmon.exe or CTF Loader Error?
If you get an error message relating to ctfmon.exe or CTF Loader, or you find that something wrong that you face is because of ctfmon.exe or CTF loader, you are able to fix it by several methods. One of the methods that you can try to use is to disable CTF Loader on Windows 10. How to do that?
- The first step that you have to do is to right click on This PC icon on the desktop.
- After that, you have to select Manage from the context menu.
- Now, you have to choose Services and Applications from the left-hand panel of Computer Management.
- In this step, you have to double click on Services option from the right-hand panel.
- And here, you have to scroll down to be able to find Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service.
- You have to right click on it and then select Properties.
- After selecting on Properties, you have to choose Disabled after Startup type.
- Next, click on the Stop button under Service status and then you have to click on the OK button at the bottom to confirm.
Another method that you can use to fix ctfmon.exe error is to delete the executable files. How to do that?
- First, you have to open Local Disk C: in File Explorer.
- After that, you have to expand the Windows folder here.
- Then, you have to find System32 (32-bit systems) or SysWOW64 folder (64-bit systems) and then you have to click to open it.
- Here, you have to type exe into the search box.
- After that, you need to right click on all the related files which can be found and listed by system.
- At last, you have to select Delete to be able to remove them all.
Actually, there are other methods to fix this error. However, you may be able to start with the methods above.