Adobe Acrobat Tray Icon (Acrotray) is software that offers the users to view, make, manipulate, print and manage files in PDF format. It is used in a variety of fields including IT, business, administrative services and educational documentation. But, the users are going to get a software component called Acrotray installed with Adobe Acrobat. This program is going to load automatically on startup without any need for using it. By the way, how to remove Acrotray.exe from starting at Startup? To find out that information, read this entire article.
WHAT IS ACROTRAY.EXE?
Acrotray which stands for Adobe Acrobat Tray Icon is an extension of the Adobe Acrobat. It is used to open and convert PDF files to different formats. AcroTray is going to startup automatically when the operating system is booted. It is going to display notifications whenever a user tries to right-click or try to convert any PDF file. Also, it is used to keep track of updates for Adobe Acrobat. You are able to locate this file in the Acrobat installed directory.
WHY DO YOU NEED TO DISABLE ACROTRAY FROM STARTUP?
Apparently, there are some different reasons due to which the users want to disable this program from startup. Most of the reported reasons are:
- It makes startup slow for the PC.
When you turn on your PC, automatically some programs are going to start to run in the background that will use the computer’s memory and make the startup slow for the PC.
- It can be a virus or malware.
Some malware is able to disguise itself under the same name as Acrotray if it is located in the system Windows folder.
- It consumes a lot of memory for no reason.
We get information that some users claim that it drains the power of CPU and memory that can immediately slow down the performance of the system.
- It is rarely used.
In fact, this feature is not used in our daily life usage frequently. Opening it only once you need it will be a better choice rather than keeping it always open for no reason.
Now, after you have a basic understanding of the nature of the problem, we are going to move on towards the methods. Please ensure to implement these in the specific order in which they are listed to prevent any conflicts.
HOW TO REMOVE ACROTRAY.EXE
Method 1: Disabling Acrotray from Task Manager.
An easy and simple method to disable startup programs is by disabling them in Task Manager. For your information, Task Manager has a tab for the startup. Easily, you are able to check Acrotray in the list and disable it. Before proceeding, ensure that Task Manager is run as administrator. You will be able to follow the steps below to apply this method:
- At the first step, you have to hold Windows key and Press R to open Run. Please type taskmgr and Enter to open Task Manager.
- After that, you are able to go to the Startup tab in Task Manager and search for Acrotray.
- Now, you have to right-click on Acrotray and select Disable.
- The last step, you only need to restart the PC. When you restart your PC, it will not start up anymore.
Method 2: Disabling Acrotray by using Autoruns
Autoruns is a utility that offers you to track and control all programs which starts automatically with Windows startup. If you are unable to find the Acrotray in Task Manager or it is not working, easily you are able to use this utility to turn it off for startup. Please follow the steps below to download and use Autoruns utility.
- At the first step, you have to go to the link and download the latest version of utility: Autoruns
- Please extract the downloaded file by using WinRAR. If you do not have WinRar, you are able to open the zipped folder by double-clicking.
- Now, you have to open the extracted folder, then right-click on the Autoruns64.exe and select Run as Administrator.
- Please search for Acrobat Assistant (Acrotray) and untick it from the list.
- Lastly, you are able to restart your computer and it will not start up anymore.
Method 3: Disabling Acrotray from Services
In this method, you are able to change some of the Adobe services which are set to run automatically. Changing those services to manual will be able to help in stopping the Acrotray from running at startup. Please ensure that you are logged into a Windows PC as an administrator before using this method. For note: you may need to apply the method 1 before doing this method.
- Firstly, you have to hold Windows key and Press R to open Run. Please type service.msc and Enter.
- After that, you need to search for “Adobe Acrobat Update” and “Adobe Genuine Software Integrity” services in the list, right-click on each of them (one by one) and select Properties.
- Now, you are able to change the startup type to Manual for both
- Lastly, restart your PC and Acrotray probably will not start anymore.
IS ACROTRAY.EXE SAFE, OR IS IT A MALWARE?
To assure if acrotray.exe is a legitimate file or not, you need to check the location of the file. The address of this file is C:\Program Files\adobe\acrobat 9.0\acrobat\acrobat.exe. You are able to find this file here and not elsewhere. When Windows Task Manager is opened, please go to View -> select Columns and select “Image Path Name” to add an address column to Task Manager. This can be a wise resolution to analyze this process further if you consider a suspect directory here. Task Explorer is another resource which frequently lets you spot wrong processes. Please, open the program and switch on ‘Check Legends‘ under Options. Go to Screen -> Pick columns and add a column called “Verified Signer.“ After the “Verified Signer” is reported as “Unable to verify”, alternatively search for a second.